Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Two LIttle Monkees!

You may have been wondering where I've been for the last week . . . the answer: up to my ears in "Two Little Monkees Jumping on the Bed!" party funness!

Party planning is certainly high on the list of my most favorite creative outlets.  In fact, I've loved throwing parties for as long as I can remember.  Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are spending hours with my mom pouring over our party planning book, selecting a theme to entertain all my friends, and knowing my mom was going to plan every detail to perfection.  I remember them all: the Mad Hatter Tea Party (where she forced my brother and his friend to be our waiters), the Cheerleader Party (where she paid my oldest brother's cheerleader friends to come and teach us high school football cheers and we totally got to dress up in their uniforms (awesome, right?!?!?!)), and the Campout Party (where she had family friends come entertain us with old time campfire songs and we made s'mores).  So it's not hard to understand why I've loved passing along the tradition to my own daughter -- and more recentlly, for my friends too.

I was delighted to plan this incredibly fun "Two Little Monkees Jumping on the Bed!" party for my friend Kym's two daughters, Kaylee (age 4) and Daphnee (age 1).  P.S. now that I've finally introduced them, you also know that I really do know how to spell "monkey," it's just that the double "e" is a thing for the Boisverts!  ;)  The theme was a perfect play on their names, but also on their rambunctious little spirits and the giggles and playfulness that fill their (totally awesome, brand new) home. 

My first order of business was hiring my friend Kristin to come up with a fabulous piece of artwork to anchor the party, as well as serve as a photo booth.  As you can see below, she more than delivered!  (I helped, but all I did was paint in the lines!)  And kudos to the girls' daddy, John, for building the board and to Kym for painting it a fabulous shade of purple.
I really can't thank Kristin enough for bringing my and Kym's idea to life and making it so darn CUTE!  The polka dots were an unexpected addition that were just too perfect not to carry throughout the party. 

With the artistic inspiration completed, my next call was to my friend Chelsea who makes AMAZING cakes -- both to eat and to look at!  In fact, for those of your who remember, she made the awesome rainbow cake for Abby's rainbow superhero party.  Yeah, pretty cool, right?  But check these cakes out!  I think she outdid herself:


If our request for these two custom cakes (with custom artwork) weren't enough, we also asked for SEVEN dozen cupcakes.  She didn't disappoint!  Thank goodness for the amazing ladies on etsy (especially AbbaGee and CraftsbyJilly), where I spent hours pouring over as much monkey themed, pink/green/purple polka dots as I could find!  I think I literally squealed with delight when the adorable custom monkey cupcakes toppers arrived.  And I think Chelsea squealed with delight when I told her she didn't have to decorate seven dozen cupcakes!


About a week before the party, I discovered my friend Monique had started a new company specializing in cake truffles, "Posh Desserts."  (Like her here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/sdposhdesserts!)  She did an awesome job with the monkey cake pops -- and judging by how fast they disappeared, they tasted pretty fabulous too!  She also made the beautiful banana pops (cuz monkeys have to have bananas to eat!) -- which ended up being quite a bit trickier than we anticipated, so major props to her!


So, with all of that, I'd say we created one fabulous cake table!
Of course, a party isn't just about creating an awesome cake table . . . so we hired the BEST taco cart service ever (though I think we also gave the taco lady a heart attack when we doubled the attendees two days prior! Doube the fun, right?  HA!).  We had two jumping castles, a play area for the babies, a giant chalkboard, a monkey (or should I say monkee?) pinata, and hand made (thank-you-very-much) goody bags to round out the fun:









And of course, since it's my blog . . . here's my little monkey :)


Thank you, Boisverts, for all the silliness and fun . . . it was great to plan a party with you and oh-so-fab to see it all come together!

No comments:

Post a Comment