Sunday, January 20, 2013

Spinach, strawberry, and pineapple smoothie: Kid-approved!

Our grain free breakfast was courtesy my husband today (thanks, babe!) and consisted of scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and avocado, served on a bed of arugula. Pretty yummy! It was definitely enough to stand on its own. Half way through, however, I remembered the chopped pineapple in my fridge that was on its last leg.....and my poor daughter can't eat pineapple on its own without the citric acid irritating her mouth and lips. Soooooo, solution?

Smoothie time!

I know it's been awhile since I've done smoothies, but I must have been inspired by our sudden 80 degree winter weather..... BLISS!

So here's my instant, delicious, and nutritious green smoothie of the day:

1 thick slice fresh pineapple, chopped
10 strawberries
1/2 bunch spinach, including stems
3 apple slices (only cuz my daughter wasn't finishing her apple and I didn't want to waste it!)
2 c ice

Simple and delicious. And hopefully helps stave the flu off till I get my shot!

Note: Thanks to my beloved Vitamix, I was able to leave the pineapple core, strawberry stems, and apple skins and seeds intact, so none of the fruit's fiber or nutrients were lost..... I heard someone say once to eat food the way God made it -whole. I adore my Vitamix for making this feat just a bit easier. Though make no doubt, I still have a long way to go! P.S. This was an unpaid plug for Vitamix.... I truly love it!

My daughter loved the smoothie so much she wanted to share it with her new puppy :) Also, I know the last photo is random, but it was so good, I was looking at the bottom of the glass in no time! Plus, if you hadn't realized it by now, I sort of love photography. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment