My husband loooooooooves his veggies. LOVES. Crazy, right?! I, on the other hand, have really struggled with a bad case of veggie phobia. My previous solution was always to bury veggies in other flavors, For instance, veggie omelettes, veggie pizza, veggie chili.....in fact all my early recipes on this blog stemmed from that veggie phobia. I am a master at hiding vegetables in other food deliciousness. Turns out pretty well, overall.
Then, i discovered roasted veggies..... And everything changed. It started with the brussel sprouts i described a three or four posts ago. Who knew that a little olive oil, salt & pepper, along with roasting, could make vegetables (especially brussel sprouts) so delicious?! Something about that beautiful golden color makes them taste amazing, I promise.
So, in keeping with my wheat free diet, I made a roasted vegetable dinner last night. Cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and red potatoes, a serving of grilled chicken, and a side of TAHINI LIME SAUCE for dipping. Y-U-M. Note: pinterest totally inspired this dinner (I adore pinterest) with a recent pin for tahini lime sauce..... But the recipe is my own!
(note: I used a vitamix to make my own version of tahini, but you could skip the first several steps and just buy tahini at the store)
1. Toss 1 c sesame seeds with 1 tsp paprika
2. Toast in skillet on medium heat until the seeds are golden (you will be able to smell them when they are done)
3. Put toasted seeds in vitamix, add 1 garlic clove, and blend until all seeds are puréed consistency should be like peanut butter, add some olive oil or water if needed to purée
4. Transfer to bowl and whisk in: juice of three limes, salt, and a little mayo
5. Alternate adding water and olive oil until you have the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
(if using jarred tahini, add paprika to sauce with the limes, etc)
1. Mix 1/2 T each of: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder in a small bowl
2. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix together
3 rub on all sides of 1 lb of chicken breasts
4. Heat 1 T olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook until chicken is cooked through
1. Set oven to 425
2. Slice red potatoes into wedges, sweet potatoes into fries, and cauliflower into slices so all have a flat side to lay on a cookie sheet.
3. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper
4. Roast until golden brown on bottom and cooked through
Pile your plate high with roasted veggies, chicken, and a side of tahini for dipping.