Sunday, January 13, 2013

30 Days Wheat Free: A Fresh Start on Day 1

Breakfast:

Orange Ginger Icelandic Skyr (like super thick Greek yogurt, with MORE protein)
////UPDATE: Skyr is available at our local health food store in the yogurt section. I use the Siggi's brand on the top shelf)/////
Fresh pomegranate seeds (I used half a pomegranate)
Orange zest

Mix together and YUMMMMMMMMM.

Believe it or not, I had never had pomegranate seeds until last October when I visited my dear friend Jessica (check her out at Capture Photography -Grant & Jessica Flynn on Facebook. She's brilliant.) I have since asked my mom, and she confirmed that she never bought them because she didnt't know how to extract the seeds without spraying juice all over the kitchen). Jess probably doesn't even realize it, but I paid exceedingly close attention as she immaculately extracted pom seeds, and have been hooked ever since.

/////UPDATE: my best attempt to explain how to get the seeds out of a pomegranate is as follows.... 1) hold pomegranate so stem is pointing upwards
2) cut the fruit horizontally (across the equator) -- super important to get this cut right!
3) hold one half of the Pom and basically invert it. It will sort of break apart and you will see little "pockets" of seeds. Continue inverting sections of Pom to expose the seeds
4) gently guide the seeds out with your finger tips (once exposed, they will almost fall out on their own)
5) if this doesn't help, tell me and I'll put something on you tube :)
//////

On a whim, shortly after discovering pomegranate goodness, I added a TON of seeds to my favorite orange ginger yogurt. The skyr mentioned above is quite thick, so the Pom seeds play two roles- adding juice to thin it out a bit, and adding crunch akin to granola (without the granola calories). Topped with orange zest, the result is magic! And quite pretty too.

On a final health related note, I researched poms today and discovered they are perhaps the most super of all super foods. They have some of the highest antioxidant levels you can find in nature, plus special cancer fighting properties unique to them. Whole food is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment